Moving into a new home is a challenging process. If you are relocating across town or across country, then the moving timetable presented here should provide some guidance in making your move easier.
Two Months Before Your Move:
- Sort through your closets and drawers and weed out what you no longer want or wear.
- Prepare an inventory of everything you plan to move and determine the replacement values for insurance purposes in case of damage.
- Start collecting estimates from moving companies and choose one. For moves during prime season you may have to book your movers at least 2 months in advance to ensure your desired date.
Six Weeks Before Your Move:
- Visit the post office and complete a change of address form.
- Notify schools of your move and contact new schools for enrollment procedures.
- Consult your insurance agent for information on your homeowner's or rental insurance to determine if it covers your move and if they are transferable to your new residence.
- Start packing. Use heavy clear packing tape and mark each box with the room it will be delivered to. (When packing kitchen items, mark the boxes with a 1st, 2nd, 3rd, etc. so you'll unpack the essentials first.
- If you're moving to or from a condominium, call the management office for information about move-in or move-out requirements and fees or deposits. If necessary, reserve your freight elevator time and date.
One Month Before Your Move:
- Contact utility companies to inform them of your move and schedule your disconnect date for the day after your move. Reconnect your service a few days prior to your move
One Week Before Your Move:
- Pack boxes you plan to move yourself with essential clothes, toiletries, jewelry and important documents and financial records.
- Write directions to your new home for the moving company, confirm delivery date and time.
- Make arrangements with the new property owner for obtainment of keys.
- Accompany the driver during the inventory and condition of your possessions.
- Sign the bill of lading and inventory and keep your copies in a safe place.
- Lock windows, turn off lights, close doors and do a final complete sweep to make certain everything has been removed.
- Return keys to previous property owner.